- Location: Nassau and Suffolk Counties, Brooklyn, and Queens, New York
- Employees: 59
- Railroad Mileage: 270 route miles
- Connecting Railroads: BRT, CP, CSX, NS, NYNJ, and P&W
- Sustainability: Contact NYA to discover the low carbon solutions we can provide for your freight needs.
- Number of Customers: 80
Services: NYA provides direct rail car service to and from local industries as well as to 3rd party logistics providers who provide services to non-direct rail served industries.
- Commodities Handled: Lumber, paper, building materials, plastic, aggregates, food products, waste and recyclables.
- Equipment: 14 locomotives
- Weight – 286k GWOR except east of Huntington to Port Jefferson, which is 263k GWOR.
- Height – Plate F clearances system-wide with exception of Hicksville to Port Jefferson, which has Plate C clearances.
- Annual Volume: 30,000 carloads
- Transloading Locations: Refer to the Facilities tab above.
NYA serves the metropolitan area consisting of Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau and Suffolk counties, with combined population of over 7.5M. We operate over tracks of the Long Island Railroad. The LIRR, founded in 1832, is the oldest railroad in North America still operating under its original charter.
In Brooklyn and Queens, we provide service in freight only territory to over 40 customers, all but a few of whom were brought online since our start up in 1997. In Nassau and Suffolk, we serve more than 40 customers and again, most of them were not active rail shippers or receivers prior to our arrival. Since our inception, we have grown our freight volume by 250%. Our service on Long Island operates on tracks shared with the LIRR, America’s busiest commuter railroad system. The New York & Atlantic forms the critical link that connects industries to the entire North American freight railroad network and currently enjoys direct connections to Canadian Pacific, CSX, Norfolk Southern, NYNJ Rail and Providence & Worcester Railroad. Our customers consist of a diverse group who serve the region’s population needs and, on their behalf, we transport food and beverage, raw materials for manufacturing, construction materials, paper and packaging, machinery and railroad passenger cars, recyclables and waste.